Sunday, June 28, 2009

June 28, 2009 Welcome to the World J!

  

June 28, 2009

Dear Family and Friends,

This letter is very late, so I am going to hurry and get it out while the house is quiet. Monday I had a doctor’s appointment. I saw my favorite doctor and I expressed some concerns about having a huge baby, etc. He realized that my original induction date was scheduled for a day when the doctor wouldn’t be in town, so he asked if I would want to be induced earlier. After a hesitant yes, he left called the hospital and came back with an appointment for me on Wednesday morning! I was a little shocked and uneasy, but I was comforted that at least it was him that would be the doctor that day. M had just met him for the first time and completely agreed with me that he was the best doctor in the practice. On our way home we called our mothers to let them know the new plan. I was still hoping to go into labor on my own, but at least we knew for sure when the baby would be here at the latest. That night we had a simple FHE before heading to bed.

Tuesday B-man and I went to the farm. I wanted to get our farm things taken care of before the baby came. We picked peas and black raspberries. We played a quick round of miniature golf before heading back home. The rest of the day I ran a few errands and tried to get the house as ready as possible for the baby. That night my mother flew in. Q went to pick her up, and we had a fun few minutes with her before I needed to go to bed.

IMG_0339

Wednesday morning we were up and going early. We had to be at the hospital at 7:30. I was able to get up shower, eat breakfast, and get nice and organized before we left to have the baby. I was slightly comforted in the fact that I was having contractions that morning. Nothing super powerful and about 8-10 minutes apart, but I felt like things were at least slightly starting on their own. We walked in and were shown to our room right away. The rooms are big and nice with wireless internet which was very useful. Our nurse was Laura and she was very nice. For one hour she asked questions and entered data into the computer. Then at about 8:45 after being checked by my doctor we started the IV and some pitocin. I asked for as little as possible. For at least two hours I stayed nice and comfortable. It was very surreal actually. M had music going through Pandora, and he sat in a chair while I was in bed. We just chatted and read, and had a nice morning. The doctor came and checked on me periodically. He wanted to break my water, and I wanted him to wait. My mother also came about mid-morning. Sometime after my mom got there I would have to stop talking during the contractions, but I was still in control and comfortable. A little after 11:00 the doctor came back in, and said he would be back in a “short hour” to break my water. I was at about a 4-5 cm dilated. He came back in about one and half hours later and I was in a lot of pain and asking for an epidural. I was sure that I was about a six, and I just was done. Luckily M and Mom insisted that the doctor check me first. When he checked me he said “R, you are at a nine. I’m going to break your water and you are going to have the baby.” I was shocked, and I also didn’t believe him. After setting everything up, he broke my water and I immediately started pushing. About three pushes later J was born. The doctor actually let me pull the baby up onto my stomach. It was an unreal experience! We were all so happy and exhilarated. In the next hour they cleaned J all up and B-man and Q came to see the baby. They were actually let into the delivery room. After a few hours they took the baby to the nursery and transferred my to the recovery room. We had a few visitors that evening, but mostly just basked in the glow of having such a new fun baby. I know I am partial, but he was (and is) beautiful!

IMG_0376IMG_0379

The next two days we were in the hospital. B-man would come with Grandma and Q. M would go home for the night, but come back early in the morning after having breakfast with B-man. It was a great two days, but I was ready to be home on Friday. Friday I came home to lots of pampering from M, Mom, and Q. They haven’t let me do anything!

Saturday and Sunday were much of the same. We did take J to the doctor on Saturday morning for a routine check-up. He did fine, and we were happy with our first outing. M and B-man have also spent lots of time at the pool. Sunday I stayed home from church while everyone else went. Q and Mom peeked in on B-man during class and saw him sitting quietly. I was so happy to know he was doing well. I have been pretty curious about what his behavior has been like during Primary.

IMG_0400

We are so happy to be home, and feel so blessed to have J in our family. He is a sweet baby, and it has been great to see how B-man loves having him in our home. Hopefully it lasts!

Love,

R, M, B-man, and J!

5 comments:

debby said...

hmmm, do you think those two could be brothers? just a little resemblance...

anne said...

I love the pictures of the boys together. What a beautiful family. I'm glad you are being pampered.

B said...

Those are some great pics! Thanks for sharing them.

emi. said...

oh i love all those pictures! thank you! so beautiful!

Steven and Erika said...

He is a handsome kiddo! how come you didn't want the dr to break your water right away and why not full fledged pitocin? Im just curious because I want pitocin right away and my water broken so I can get the whole baby process done with! I have wanted to stop by so bad but I know you have so much family in town and you are busy so I will swing by when i get home from utah Aug 3. I hope recovery has been good..he was a biggen! :)