Monday, November 23, 2009

November 22, 2009

November 22, 2009


Dear Family and Friends,


What a great week. It has gone by so fast, which is a good and bad thing. Good because it means that M got home from his trip fast, but sad because the time with my mom went so quickly! Monday was a preparation day. I did some shopping and did my best to get the house cleaned up.


Tuesday morning I dropped off B-man at the bus stop, and then once he left J and I drove to pick up my mom at the airport. We were picking her up in Baltimore, and despite the drive time we could not have planned the timing any better. I drove up right as she was walking out to the curb. I was so happy to see her. We had lunch with B-man, and then after J’s nap we went to the outlets nearby and did some shopping. B-man was pretty done with shopping by the time Mom and I were done. That night I also went to mutual for a quick appearance.

IMG_1733

Wednesday morning we got up and going early. Once B-man got home we all drove downtown to the district. We had to do one lap around the National Mall before finding a parking spot. I was so glad to have my mom there because it was a tiny spot, and with her help directing me we made it in. We then went to the National American History Museum. It is a great museum. We saw a few of my favorite exhibits (Julia Child’s kitchen, the dresses from First Ladies, the Star Spangled Banner) before heading up to an exhibit on Lincoln. I was surprised by how much B-man was interested in the Lincoln exhibit. He also loved the invention exhibits where he could play with various objects. After several hours in the museum we headed back to the car and went home before the traffic really hit.

IMG_1738

Thursday was a low key day. We stayed mostly at home, and did run to Costco and a few other stores. After J’s afternoon nap we did go to Chucky Cheese’s for a few hours. B-man loves that place and was so excited. It was a good trade after dragging him along on so many shopping trips.

IMG_1730

Friday was much of the same. In the morning we went to see all the Kindergarten kids put on a Thanksgiving play. It was so cute, but B-man was acting very strange after the play and didn't want any pictures. (Or smiles for that matter.) I also got to see how his class does shared reading and writing everyday. It was fun to sit behind B-man and watch him work. The kids were so cute doing their work with the parents sitting and helping them. I did have a very kind friend offer to watch B-man so that Mom and I could have some time without him. We used it by going to lunch and hitting some more stores at the outlets. It was a great afternoon! The time all week has just flown by. That evening we made pizza and then after the boys were in bed we worked on a little project while eating some treats.


Saturday morning we had a pretty leisurely morning. I made pancakes and then we all visited with Grandma until she was packed and ready to go. We made a few stops before finally getting on the road to the airport. I was so sad to see my mom go. I tried not to sob since B-man was in the car. The drive home went smoothly. I spent a lot of the time trying to find a babysitter for an Open House for our new church building that I needed to work at. After a mildly slow afternoon, I then took the kids to a friend who was kind enough to watch them for me while I did my hour at the Open House. I was in the Young Women’s rooms, and when people came in I explained a little about the Young Women’s program and personal progress. There was a great display and some of the young women were there too to help explain and show how cute and normal we are. I was surprised how many people came. After picking up the boys we ran a quick errand, ate a quick dinner, and then I put the boys to bed as fast as I could. I was exhausted!


Today has been another fast and furious day. We got up and going in the morning. I worked on dinner and my lesson before going to get M from the airport. We were happy to have him back with us. When he got home we all finished getting ready, ate lunch, and then went to church. Church went well. I had to teach the 14 and 15 year old girls too. I really wish I knew what the girls thought about my lessons. I need some feedback! They are tough to read because I think a lot of them act like they aren’t listening/don’t care when they really do. Oh well. After church we spent a long time helping set up chairs and various things. We then went home and finished the dinner preparations. We had a friend and her boys over for dinner. (She watched B-man and J yesterday.) B-man was so happy to get to have people over. After dinner we hurried to get the boys bathed and ready for bed. Then while I was getting B-man to bed he went to the dedication of the new chapel. I’m still waiting for him to get home.


(M was in Santiago, Chile for the week at a cartography conference. Just before returning on Saturday, he was able to see a Chilean mission companion that he hasn’t seen for almost ten years. )


Love,

R, M, and B-man


3 comments:

anne said...

R, I love hearing about your cute busy life. You are such a great person and I love your positive attitude! I miss you! (I'm glad you had fun with your mom- hard to be so far away!)

Diane said...

I love, love, love your weekly updates. It makes it seem like we are not so far away from one another.

Fabulous picture of your mom and the kids!!

B said...

That is the cutest pic of J! He's getting so big! I'm glad you got to be with family. It IS hard to be so far away sometimes.