Thursday, April 22, 2010

Exterminator

A week ago I was finally heading upstairs to bed. I saw a dark shape on the carpet, and after a quick examination determined that it was a HUGE spider. It was too big for me to kill. I have a severe aversion to squishing big things, but it was also too big to leave there. For a moment I was paralyzed and didn't know what to do. M had been in bed for over an hour. I didn't think he would like to be woken up, but I just could not walk away from this spider, and I could not squish it myself. Finally I came up with a solution...

IMG_2981

Luckily all these supplies just happened to be close at hand.  I put the container on, and then nervous that the spider would be tricky and pull a fast one on me I looked for something to weigh it down a little so there could be no escape from underneath.  If you look really closely you can see the dark shadow of the creature.  Only downside to this arrangement was that it mean I had to wait quite a while for M to save the day.  This set up was around for twenty hours until M came home and took care of the beast.  I was very careful that B-man and J stayed far away from it.  And although I probably could have come up with something that didn’t take twenty hours to finish, at least I knew it was dead.  Because spiders get killed in my house when they dare to show their little creepy bodies.

IMG_2983

7 comments:

Diane said...

Amen sister!

Sometime I'll tell you the story of me, Elna, and Amy and the giant spider in Kirkland. I still shudder every time I think of it.

The only good spider is a dead spider. No exceptions.

elnaclark said...

OK - this is so funny. I read this first on my email and commented to Rebecca - make sure that Diane sees this post - she will for sure understand. And here you are Diane. Our spider was MUCH bigger - Tom says that no spider on earth is as big as the spider we saw that day. Nevertheless, sometimes Tom is wrong. We were so brave. We did get that spider - and without waking up Bruce.

emi. said...

oh, i'm so happy those uno cards were around.

love you!
em

beth said...

my sister-in-law did that all the time growing up. bruce said he'd walk by a cup and pick it up and a spider would come running out. they quickly learned that upside-down cups meant spiders. i showed him this post and he just laughed and said, "that's what my sister used to do!"

Ellie said...

This makes me laugh so hard. When I was on my mission we had an enormous bug on our wall that we trapped in an old jelly jar (after role-playing how we would catch it, of course) and took to one of our investigators to ask what it was and if we were likely to find more of them in our apartment. We actually carried it around for a couple of days before we found someone to ask and by the time we did it was dead. It's probably not the most humane way to kill something, but it was better for us than squishing it. I'm with you on that one.

RayRay said...

I wish i would have thought of that when i found its mom in your basement last summer.

let's just say a GINORMOUS wad of toilet paper was in order.

B said...

I still think you're brave, R. We have the same issue with stink bugs in our house. I just can't kill them. Ugh, makes me shudder thinking about it.