Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Depths of Winter



In the depths of winter I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer.
- Albert Camus

We are in the depths of winter here, except it is a sort of winter hell. It is bitterly, bitterly cold (especially with the wind chill factored in) and there is not a speck of snow anywhere. What is the point of being twenty degrees outside, if there isn't something beautiful to look at, or fun to play in outside? I feel like I am trapped, and it will never be warm again. I have one solace, and that is dreaming of spring and summer. I signed up for my farm again, and am already dreaming of fresh fruit, berries, and vegetables. Then, to add to my day dreaming I got a plant catalogue in the mail. I have looked through it several times. My yard is the size of a postage stamp, which is good because if it was even slightly normal size I would be forced to buy way too many plants. But how can you say no to such beauty? (Apparently I can't because I have three hydrangeas in my tiny yard.. .) Someday I hope to have my own garden of Eden in my yard. But maybe it is good that for right now I can just start small and dream and practice for whenever I will have the space for all of this...

Somehow all of that will just not fit in this...

3 comments:

Eliza said...

I saw your blog link with the updated address info, I hope it's ok that I added you to our list! I sometimes wonder what goes on way on that side of the world. I too can't wait for a yard big enough to have a glorious garden. For now, I'm just glad we live by a Sprout's store.

B said...

I love hydrangeas! I look forward to seeing your spring garden! I'm with you - why does it have to be so cold! Going to the car in the morning is so painful.

anne said...

your yard is so pretty!