Monday, March 15, 2010

Swim Class

I just finished an ADULT swim class. The technical name was the Advanced Beginner Class. I at first thought it would be too easy for me. Sadly I was mistaken, and the class was right at my level. That might not be a bad thing. Here are a few things that I learned from swim class.

1. I am not as coordinated as I thought. Trying to time arms, legs, and breathing is much harder than I originally planned.

2. I prefer to see a very hairy man with a normal body and normal swimsuit to a hairless younger man with a good body wearing a speedo. Seriously I take the hair any time.

3. Having someone in the class that can not swim at all is at times great for the self-esteem and at other times too painful to watch.

4. I love flippers, and would like to have some permanently attached to my feet for use while swimming.

5. I need to give my sister much more credit for how hard she worked on the swim team. No wonder she took hour long showers when she got home.

6. If you swallow too much air or water you will feel like you need to throw-up.

7. A flip turn is not as intuitive an action as you might think.

8. I prefer swimming laps in the shallow end.

9. I tend to breathe through my mouth.

10. I have a long way to go if I think I can swim 500 meters without stopping.

7 comments:

Nicole said...

Good job! I know what you mean about that flip turn thing. Totally hard.

emi. said...

YOU CAN DO IT! when i started swimming, i could only swim one lap. It's going to be so great. And remember! THE LONG SHOWER IS SUCH A GOOD AFTER SWIMMING PRIZE! (and food).

RayRay said...

i'm totally laughing about the long shower comment...

Diane said...

Keep going! I didn't learn to swim at all until I was 12, and I took lessons every year until then, so I get it. Then all of a sudden I took off, and even joined the swim team and swam in junior high and high school. If I can do it, you can do it easy.

anne said...

I disagree about number two.

Amber said...

LOL!!! I think I would be that sad person you can't swim at all. AWKARD!!! Way to go on taking the class. YOu can do it!!!

Laura said...

you can do it!!!!!!! the last triathlon i did was with a friend who had just barely taken a swimming class and learned how to side-breathe. i was so impressed when she finished!!!!!!