Monday, February 2, 2009

February 1!

February 1, 2009


Dear Family and Friends,


Here's a quick update of our week. Monday B-man and I did our shopping for the week. That night for FHE we had a lesson on Adam and Eve.


Tuesday was a snow day. It had started snowing the morning and kept going all day. B-man wanted to be outside in it as soon as possible, and he loved playing in it. I think I shoveled the walks about four times that day, but it just kept snowing. I had a very busy morning. I planned it all originally so that B-man would be at preschool, but because of the snow all the schools were cancelled. So first we were off to go visiting teaching. After a good visit I then ran over to my doctor's appointment. I had to take B-man, but I didn't think it would be a big deal. After the doctor listened to the baby's heartbeat, B-man turned to me and said "See! I told you you had a baby in yours tummy!" And he had been making a lot of comments and questions in the last few weeks. We then rushed over to the next visiting teaching appointment. We had been there about twenty minutes when B-man announced to the women that I was going to have a baby. I guess the secret is out… We then went home for some much needed lunch. When M got home he and B-man put on all their snow gear and they went sledding at a hill by our house. I was the photographer. B-man had a great time. I left a little early and started some hot chocolate for them. By the time they got home the hot chocolate was ready. We drank it with dinner and enjoyed our nice cozy home. That night I went to a board meeting for the Young Women. It was a quick, but productive meeting.


Wednesday morning we woke up to a layer of ice covering all the snow. M made it into work safely, and I had David for the day. Because of all the ice we really didn't go anywhere. B-man played outside in the snow/ice for a while, but other than that it was a slow day. School was cancelled that day and so we had no mutual activities. It was kind of nice to have a little break.


Thursday morning B-man had preschool again. While he was gone I ran a bunch of errands. That night M went and played basketball with some guys from the ward at the church. B-man went with him to get a little running time. I stayed home to monitor the dinner that was taking entirely too long to cook. I actually ended up eating dinner by myself. I can't remember the last time that happened… After M got home I then went to book club. We discussed The Last Jihad which I thought was interesting. It was a small group, but it was so nice to get out and see some ladies.


Friday morning I took B-man to preschool. We were making up Tuesday's missed class, and then I rushed back home to be ready by the time David got dropped off. The day was fairly quiet and normal. That afternoon I had an appointment to get my hair cut. The stylist was actually the sister-in-law to my brother who happened to also know a friend from my ward. She flew her out here and arranged a day full of appointments. My hair isn't drastically different, just more modern and updated. Lots of long layers. I haven't had time to do it completely myself, so it will be fun to see how it works next week. That night we had the kids for the babysitting co-op. There are two two-year olds, and two three months old, and B-man. It was slightly a nightmare. One of the babies would NOT stop crying. And I've had a colicky child, so it's not like we aren't used to crying. None of our tricks worked, and he wouldn't take a bottle. He probably cried for two hours. The parents did come back, and then M and I just sat on the couch and ate a fudgcicle. We don't want two sets of twins any time soon… B-man did have fun watching a movie. He finally earned his first reward through the bean jar. He rented a movie and we thought we would have a party. Turned out to be mostly chaos going on around the movie, but I think he still thought it was fun.


Saturday morning B-man and I went to my ward basketball game. I played very little time, but it felt good to be out there. We even won! I then went to a lecture at the local hospital about babies. Although it was mostly geared towards first time parents, it was still informative. The best part was being able to tour where we will have our baby. It seems like an amazing set-up. I thought American Fork Hospital was great, but this seems even better! There are some hospitals out here where mothers have to share a room! I felt very reassured that our hospital has all private rooms and a lot of other nice features. After getting home we had a very low key day. That evening M went to the Priesthood leadership meeting for Stake Conference. He came home and then we all went to the adult session. We had two visiting authorities, Elder Oaks, and Elder Murray. I searched all over but couldn't find a babysitter. Since neither of us wanted to miss the meeting, we decided to bring B-man. It was risky, but we thought it would work. When we got there we picked an inconspicuous spot and then set him up with a movie to watch on my I-pod. It worked like a charm. He was quiet the whole meeting. The meeting was fantastic. I think it is so interesting to see apostles in such a relaxed setting. Their personality comes through so strongly.


Today has been a crazy day. We first went to Stake Conference. With less sleep, and no I-pod it was more of a struggle to keep B-man under wraps. We both breathed a sigh of relief when it was over. Someday I will be able to sit and take notes about what things I notice, but today I was busy entertaining the boy. I had revamped my church bag in preparation. But most of what I put in there was a bust. Then you put in something and find out that it is a hit. I think a little more sleep for him would have helped immensely. After getting home we had a pancake lunch. M then packed his bags and left for the week. He has work stuff that is taking him out of town. While he was gone I attacked the oven racks. The weather was so nice and warm that I had to do it. The cleaning operation was mostly a failure, until I gave in and ran the self cleaning cycle with the racks in it. While all this was going on B-man was playing outside. I realized at one point that he had taken some fertilizer and spread it by the handful over the snow in the backyard. I think he thought it was ice melt. That little incident combined with the oven fiasco brought on a mini emotional breakdown. But I pulled it all together eventually. All I can say is that I am grateful that the weather was warm because our doors and windows were open all afternoon.


We love you all!


(pictures will be coming...)

No comments: