Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Those Pesky College Dreams


















What do these two things have in common?

Not a lot unless you happen to be my strange mind.  I used to listen to my parents and older siblings talk about the college dreams/nightmares that they would have occasionally.  I never had them, even while in college.  Once I graduated things changed, and I have experienced them on multiple occasions.  I had another weird college dream last week.  Usually I have to go take a final for a class that I have somehow managed to NEVER go to during the semester.  Not once, and I am stressed about it and  wondering how I could have been so irresponsible.  I have also had a dream where I had two finals at exactly the same time, and was trying to figure out what to do about the problem.  This latest was a little different.

I was sitting in a desk writing a very lengthy essay.  I am sure it was already over three pages.  I was also aware that I knew it lacked great structure and that I should have done something like a "web" to help me stay organized.  I was stressed because I felt like I had so much more to say to answer the question.  Then my stress level increased as I realized that I had at least ten questions that I was supposed to be answering.  I was also aware that the teacher expected me to be doing short answer, not essay.  I felt my panic level rising as I realized that I was doing this all wrong, and I had already wasted so much time!  The only thing that was saving me was that the final was open book... or should I say magazine.  The texts that we were studying in the class were an issue of "Martha Stewart Living," and the Conference edition of "The Ensign."    I knew I could find the answers, it was just a matter of time, and paper which I seemed to be running out of because I was writing my answers in the margins of the magazines.

I woke up before finishing the test.  (Of course you never get closure...) I couldn't help but think "what the?"  I mean why would my mind be combining those two things?  I guess it could be that I am struggling to balance the spiritual and temporal side of things in my life?  Who knows.  Or it could be the hormones causing me to be way off balance.  Then I realized that I would kind of like to take a class where we studied those two things.  










3 comments:

beth said...

i have to say i haven't had any college nightmares yet. hopefully i can avoid those. congratulations on the baby boy, by the way! i'm sure you are so excited.

Amy's Paradigm said...

Great Post! I really laughed--that is a horrible dream--I am sorry you are experiencing it now. But I love your creative twist to the common dream. I usually dream I can't find where the final is going to be taken. I run all over campus freaking out. I wish my mind could combine two things I love into the dream. Very interesting.

My recurring dream is that a twister is headed straight for my home and I am running all over the neighborhood trying to find all my boys so I can get them in the safety of my basement. It makes me miss the college dream.

anne said...

Bec: I have actually taken a final for a class I never went to. I did that several times in college, and it's not as scary as you might think. I was the worst student. But I had a lot of fun, that's for sure!

My recurring nightmares are always about tidal waves. But when I am pregnant, my dreams are so realistic and boring that I wake up wondering: why does my brain even bother? For example, last night I had a dream that the handle broke off the kitchen sink sprayer. LAME!!