Sunday, February 1, 2009

High Low

In college I would have dinner a lot with a group of friends every Sunday night. We would always play a game while eating called "High Low." You had to play and you always had to have one of each. Although sometimes it was a little difficult to make it interesting... So since I am alone today, and have no one to share my "high low" with, I am going to share it with all of you... Pretend I am talking, it helps.

My high of the week...
was making into "Jane's" Facebook status with a declaration of love. Seriously a fun thing to see on the newsfeed.

My low of the week ...
happened today. M left town for the week for work, and I decided to take advantage of the warmer weather by trying to clean the oven racks while turning the oven on really low, and opening all the doors and windows with fans turned on to keep out the smoke. My plan went seriously awry in many ways. Here they are...

1. It failed miserably, an hour of work for very little benefit.


2. The foil I lined the bottom of the oven to prevent any more plastic buildup somehow bonded to the bottom of the oven, permanently it seems. (picture will follow soon)


3. While I was thus weighing my options, and lamenting the fact that I had just ruined the oven I realized that B-man was outside, downstairs (our kitchen is on the middle floor). I thought that would be a good thing except that he took the fertilizer for the rhododendrons and was spreading it all over the grass/snow. I had used about a cup, but when I got to him there was only 1/3 of the bag left. I put him inside, then tried to shovel off as much as I could. If you don't know, fertilizer in large concentrated quantities is not good for plants. It literally burns them. So I am pretty sure that come spring we will have several circles in our grass that are dead. Plus the spots where I put what I could clean up will probably be toxic for several years. I am pretty sure I have in the last week, put a hole in the ozone over our house, and now contributed to the polluted run off in the Potomac river. I will forever be working to erase my carbon footprint...

After cleaning it all up I came back inside. By the time B-man had gone up to his room and had cried himself to sleep. (He was really tired...) I called M, left a message, and then commenced to sit at my table and cry. Yes, I sat and cried. These were some of the many thoughts running through my head; "my oven is ruined, what if all these fumes hurt the baby, B-man just played with fertilizer and then didn't wash his hands", etc... It wasn't the best way to start off a week with no husband. Hopefully the worst is already over and my worries will be all for naught.

So there you have it, my high low. It was a doozy this week.

P.S. After my mini break down I decided to just put the racks back in the oven and turn it on self clean. I just inspected the oven and the racks look great! But there is still a bunch of tin foil. At least it's shiny...

4 comments:

Kristen said...

I had competely forgotten about that game--too funny. Don't worry...Connor cried himself to sleep last night too. It's the cool thing to do.

anne said...

Jane sounds like an awesome friend!

B said...

Rebecca, you're so cute! Benjamin is so lucky to have you!

L said...

So I was reading People magazine yesterday (a sure sign I'm back to work), and there was an article about Michelle Obama- she talked about their dinner-time tradition that's just like your High Low- but they call it Roses and Thorns. Maybe you should invite them to dinner- they'll feel right at home :). Can't wait to see you in April!