Friday, April 3, 2009

I have had a very long trip in Mexico.  I have traveled all around Mexico and have one week to go before I get back to Virginia.  It's been interesting to see different parts of Mexico.

 One of the strange parts of this trip has been that I have been traveling every Sunday, so I haven't been able to go to church.  Though I havent' been to church, I have been able to go to five of the twelve temples in Mexico.  

I didn't even realize that I would be able to see so many temples on this trip until I was looking up the Mexico City Temple address.  Most of the temples in Mexico are of the smaller variety, but it was fun to be able to visit each of them and always have good conversations with the cab drivers about the temple and the church.

Mexico City Temple

The Mexico City temple was probably my favorite temple.  It took about 45 minutes to get from my hotel to the temple - and the cabbie ripped me off.  It cost me $20 to get out there and only $4 to get back.  I don't feel that bad since I can't believe that I only paid $4 for a 45 minute ride (that's with a tip).  I did get to ride back in a 1998 VW Beetle - the passenger seat removed for plenty of leg room for one person in the back. 

Mexico City turned out to be one of my least favorite cities.  I flew in and out of Mexico City eight times and the smog was hanging over the city every time.  It reminds me of Lima - now Mexico City and Lima are my two least favorite cities in Latin America.    It turns out that Mexico City is just like all other major Latin America cities - dirty!

What makes up for being in Mexico City was being in some of the other smaller cities in Mexico.  I'm sure that there are some good things about Mexico City...it's just not the airport, the city, the smog, or the traffic. 



Guadalajara Mexico Temple



Monterrey Mexico Temple


Merida Mexico Temple


Veracruz Mexico Temple

I was only a mile away from the Veracruz temple, and was able to walk there and back.   I felt like being back in the mission, got the same strange looks....just without a companion at my side. 

No comments: