Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Honeycrisp


I bought a honeycrisp apple at the store last weekend. I had heard several people rave about them, so I thought I would try it out. I was horrified that the apple cost $1.50 when I paid for it!

I was pretty skeptical when we finally cut it up and ate it. I don't believe in paying anything near that for one piece of fruit. I must admit though, that it was a VERY delicious apple. M thinks it was well worth the money. (I would buy it again, but not at $2.50 a pound.) It was the perfect balance of sweet and tart, with a very crispy texture. I don't know if it is an east coast variety or not, but if you find it, you might want to try it. Although it might cost you an arm and a leg.

P.S. I just discovered it is the Minnesota state fruit. Who knew?

5 comments:

Diane said...

One time someone mentioned that we often pay a lot more than $2.50 a pound for cookies and other treats, and don't even bat an eye. That helped me not mind paying more for a really great piece of fruit - a treat in its own way.

debby said...

i LOVE honeycrisp apples and think they are well worth the price. i was at the farmers market selling a few weeks ago and a woman who was selling honeycrisps was walking around the market before it even started, handing out free honeycrisp samples to us. i'm pretty sure she sold out just based on her sales to the vendors, before the customers started coming around.

Emily said...

Target has a small box of them for $5.50. They are good! And, quite scary about the spider. I would not like that at all!

anne said...

Bec, last year we discovered the Honeycrisp and it has been a favorite ever since then. Last year I made my Thanksgiving apple pie with Honeycrisp and it was delish. Worth the money!

(and I love the comment on how much money per pound we spend on treats.)

Shoshanah said...

I eat a honeycrisp on my way to work almost everyday.

Luckily I have a very nice grandma who supplies them too me fresh from the apple orchard. (They usually come with a couple apple cider donuts too.)

I must admit, my favorite apple is by far the Pink Lady. How could you not love an apple called a Pink Lady?