Friday, July 31, 2009

Proof

This has been on mind a lot lately. J gave us a whole string of smiles today. They are wonderful and charming. There is just something about seeing a newborn smile. I will get one smile from him, and then work for five more minutes trying to get another smile out of him. They weren't his first smiles, but just the first day that he has done lots of smiles all in a row. (No pictures yet, but hopefully soon we will capture the smile on film.)

J has given me other smiles. His first "real" smile came one night a little over a week ago. It had been a rough night. You know the kind. It was around five in the morning, and I was doing a change of clothes because he had gotten himself wet. I was completely exhausted and a little fed up. And then out of no where he smiled at me! It gave me the energy to finish the feeding and get him back to sleep.

So here's what I have been thinking about. Besides the skills that a baby is born with, the first skill that they acquire is the ability to smile. Doesn't that seem a little weird? I mean in the evolutionary scheme of things it would be much better for them to be mobile, or able to communicate, etc... I think the fact that a baby learns to smile shows that there is a God. That we were created, and not evolved. A smile is utterly useless for a child. Except that it isn't useless. Seeing a smile makes it so that the parent will still work to protect that child, and care for the child. Without those smiles it would all grow old very quickly. God knew that a smile would help a child far more than other options. I mean the ability to talk is great, but that can be troublesome too. A smile, is really never troublesome.


5 comments:

elnaclark said...

Thanks for the insightful post. Can't wait to see pictures of the smile - what a cutie.

emi. said...

never troublesome! some beautiful!

Rebekah said...

true words.

anne said...

I'm glad the little guy is smiling at you. (I hope that someday he will have the chance to smile at me.)

B said...

It's so true. I was in Albuquerque at a fam reunion last week watching my nephew one night for my sister. He's 17 months and teething. It was insane. But the smile I got from him in the morning just melted my heart - made it all worth it.